Columbus firefighters suggest home heating safety tips

With the cold weather, Columbus firefighters are offering some safety tips as people try to stay warm.

Columbus Fire Department Spokesman Capt. Mike Wilson says you should take care of the basics including having an inspection of your home heating system every year, whether it is a gas, oil or electric furnace or wood heat. He said one of the dangers of incomplete burning is that carbon monoxide is produced.

He said everyone should have working carbon monoxide detectors in their home.

Wilson also said that space heaters can be a danger. He suggested clearing a three foot circle from any flammable materials around any space heater.

He said you should also be aware of the dangers of extension cords. They are meant for temporary power use, not for a permanent solution.