A passerby noticed a garage fire yesterday in Columbus and alerted a sleeping resident of the home to the danger.
Capt. Mike Wilson, spokesman for the Columbus Fire Department, says that Amy Jackson was driving at about 4:35 p.m. when she noticed smoke drifting across the roadway. Wilson said Jackson stopped and saw the smoke rolling out from under the roof of the home in the 1400 block of Laurel Drive.
Jackson knocked on the door, entered a breezeway and yelled to anyone who might be inside before retreating to safety. A 25-year-old resident of the home who had been sleeping, was woken by Jackson’s shouting emerged from the home and also got to safety.
Firefighters discovered a fire in the walls of the garage, which they extinguished after pulling down the walls. Wilson said that inspectors believe an electrical short caused the fire.
Wilson said the home did not have any working smoke detectors and praised Jackson for her efforts, which may have saved the resident’s life.