Camping tent fire endangers garage, home in Columbus

Photo courtesy of Columbus Fire Department

Columbus firefighters fought a blaze in a tent Sunday night. They were originally called to a report of heavy fire in a building behind a home in the 200 block of Hughes Street at about 8:15 p.m. Sunday night.

The fire turned out to be in a large camping tent and a small metal storage building. Both were close to a detached garage, causing fire damage to the garage’s siding. Firefighters say there were a large amount of materials stored inside the tent and the storage building.

According to the property owner, a family member was living in the tent. The occupant of the tent told investigators that he was not in the tent at the time the fire occurred. And while a space heater was inside the tent, the occupant could not confirm if the heating device was operating at the time of the fire.

Firefighters were on the scene for about an hour.

Photo courtesy of Columbus Fire Department.