Columbus Mayor Jim Lienhoop has announced the formation of the City of Columbus Bicentennial Commission. The team is charged with organizing the commemoration of the City’s bicentennial in 2021 in ways that best fit and honor past residents, current residents, businesses, guests and all who have been impacted by the city.
Honorary Bicentennial Chairs are Jim Henderson, Pam Lienhoop, and Sherry Stark. The Executive Committee will be chaired by Mayor Lienhoop. Appointments to this committee include:
• Dr. Jim Roberts – Bartholomew Consolidated School Corporation
• Carl Lienhoop – Bartholomew County Commissioner
• Tyshaun Allen – CAMEO
• Cindy Frey – Columbus Area Chamber of Commerce
• Jim Bickel – Columbus Regional Health
• John Burnett – Community Education Coalition
• Cummins Inc. Representative
• Celeste Yonushonis – The Heritage Fund of Bartholomew County
• Claudia Sanchez-Davila – City of Columbus Human Rights Commission
• Ryan Hou – LHP
• Karen Niverson – Columbus Area Visitors Center
Diane Doup and Tobi Herron have been selected to co-chair the Bicentennial Steering Committee and will be planning the programming of events, fundraising, special projects, and historical data collection. Officials say that multiple sub-committees will be set up to help with various areas and will have opportunities for residents, schools, churches and other organizations to get involved.
You can more information online at columbus.in.gov/bicentennial/.