A Columbus man was arrested on various warrants after a 2 and a half hour standoff with police yesterday afternoon.
A police officer saw 29-year-old Miguel J. Rivas at a residence in the 700 block of Werner Avenue at about 4 p.m. yesterday afternoon. When Rivas saw the police he rushed into the home, says Lt. Matt Harris, spokesman for the Columbus police. Officers found that Rivas had numerous warrants for his arrest including a warrant for the illegal possession of a machine gun.
The Columbus Police SWAT team was brought in and Rivas surrendered after negotiating with police at about 6:30 p.m. that evening. He was arrested on outstanding warrants including:
- Possession of a Machine Gun
- Possession of a Handgun Without a License (2 Counts)
- Obliterating Identifying Marks on a Handgun
- Possession of a Syringe
- Possession of a Controlled Substance
- Operating Without Ever Receiving a License