Fire blamed on child playing with candle

Photo courtesy of Columbus Fire Department.
Photo courtesy of Columbus Fire Department.

Columbus firefighters say a Friday morning fire was caused by a child playing with a candle in a bathroom.

Firefighters were called to the 1200 block of Eighth Street at about 10:45 a.m. Friday on a report of a fire. They discovered a heavily charred bathroom door and counter along with a wastebasket and smoldering papers, which they fully extinguished with a water can.

Capt. Mike Wilson, spokesman for the fire department, said that an 8-year-old girl dropped a lit candle into the trash can, causing the fire.

Damages is estimated at $2,500. There were no injuries reported and the home did not have working smoke detectors, Wilson said.