A cooking fire led to the evacuation of eleven people on Friday afternoon from the Willowood/Applegate Apartments, according to Capt. Mike Wilson, spokesman for the Columbus Fire Department.
Wilson said that authorities were called to the scene at 5:22 p.m. and found heavy smoke and flames in a kitchen. The resident had been cooking earlier and left the apartment for a short time, thinking she had turned off the stove. When she returned, she found the fire and suffered from smoke inhalation. She was treated at the scene but refused transportation to the hospital.
Wilson said nine tenants were allowed to return to their apartments and damage is estimated at about 15,000. The fire victim is being helped by the Salvation Army.