Electrical issue suspected in Friday morning garage fire

Columbus firefighters responded to an electrical fire in a garage Friday morning. CFD Captain Mike Wilson says that firefighters were called to 1926 North Cherry Street at 9:53 a.m., after a resident discovered the blaze.

Wilson says that firefighters arrived on the scene and found a one-story detached garage with flames visible inside the building. He said that

Photo courtesy of the Columbus Fire Dept.
Photo courtesy of the Columbus Fire Dept.

firefighters deployed a hand line from the engine and quickly extinguished the flames. During the investigation, Wilson says that firefighters found that the garage’s circuit breaker had been tripped during the incident. Investigators believe an overload of the electrical circuits contributed to the fire.

Wilson says that damage to contents and the structure are estimated at $6,000. He adds that fire investigators have ruled the fire as accidental and noted that no one was hurt.