Fire temporarily closes Columbus restaurant

An electrical fire has temporarily closed a Columbus restaurant.

Capt. Mike Wilson, spokesman for the Columbus Fire Department, says that firefighters were called to the Texas Roadhouse restaurant, at 2508 Herman Darlage, at approximately 11:15 a.m. on Sunday. He said that the call was made after employees at the restaurant smelled smoke inside the building and called 911.

Wilson says that a store manager told investigators that the store had opened at 11 a.m. and that the issue was discovered after the lights flickered inside of the building. The manager noted that he went to the electrical panel and smelled a strong odor of smoke, but no visible fire. The building was then evacuated.

Firefighters arrived on the scene and encountered a small fire on the exterior of the building near the electrical service supply, said Wilson. He said that crews removed about eight-feet of fencing to access, and extinguish, the flames.

Wilson says that a portion of the siding was damaged as a result of the fire, noting that visible damage to the building’s exterior has been estimated at $500. No injuries were reported. It is not known when the restaurant will be reopened.