The 2016 winners of the Lilly Endowment Community Scholarships for Bartholomew County are Columbus East High School senior Bryn Eudy and Columbus Signature Academy New Tech senior Karla Guerrero.
Amy Laker, scholarship manager for the Heritage Fund – the Community Foundation of Bartholomew County says Bryn and Karla will receive full tuition for four years to the Indiana college of their choice and a $900 annual stipend for required books and equipment.
According to Heritage Fund:
- Bryn, the daughter of Randall and Karla Eudy, has been active as Web editor for the school newspaper (awarded Individual and Group Excellence Award at Ball State University’s Summer Media Academy), tutoring at McDowell Adult Education Center, varsity captain of the Women’s Soccer Team (All District 2014-15; All Conference 2014-15; Academic All State 2014-15; Republic Girls Soccer Player of the Year 2015); public relations officer of National Honor Society; Youth Leadership Bartholomew County (10th place overall); and committee member for the annual Turning Point Dance Marathon benefit. Bryn plans to attend Indiana University and major in journalism and public relations.
- Karla, daughter of Carlos and Celia Guerrero, has been active as editor of the school yearbook; member of the advisory board for Indiana State Museum’s Bicentennial Committee, serving as the Columbus Signature Academy’s committee chairperson; recipient of Outstanding Leadership recognition from Bartholomew County Youth Leadership; and design chairperson for the school’s Adventure Club. Karla plans to major in journalism at Ball State University.
Laker said the Heritage Fund received 69 applications for this year’s scholarships. Ten students were chosen for interviews by the Selection Committee. Each finalist will also receive a $1,000 award from Heritage Fund.
- Rebecca Smith, Kevin Williams, Alex Galle and Olivia Fahey from Columbus East High School
- Eva Yezerets, Emma McAlister, and Marlena Reisinger from Columbus North High School
- Zacharia Johnson from Hauser High School.