Grease fire injures Taylorsville woman

A Taylorsville woman was injured last night in a grease fire at her home.

German Township Volunteer firefighters were called out at a quarter til 10 last night to the 6800 block of Fremont Drive and found a mobile home full of smoke. Matt Lynch, deputy chief for the volunteer department, says that a resident was cooking and left the stove to let her dog out. When she returned the cooking grease had caught fire.

She tried to extinguish the flames by putting the pan in the sink and running water into it, but the oil splattered and spread the fire.

The fire was contained to the kitchen and did not get into the walls of the mobile home, Lynch said. The woman suffered a moderate burn to her hand and was taken to Columbus Regional Hospital.

Lynch said that you should never put water on flaming grease. Instead, use a fire extinguisher or cover the pot.