Gas leak leads to evacuation of Quail Run Apartments

A gas leak lead to the evacuation of a Quail Run Apartment building Tuesday afternoon.

Columbus Fire Department Spokesman Capt. Mike Wilson says that at 2:26 p.m., firefighters were called to 1170 Saylor Drive after people in the area thought they smelled the odor of natural gas. As firefighters arrived to the scene, Wilson says they were met by employees of Vectren Energy, who were already on the scene.

Fire Department Lieutenant Don Richards reported that as soon as firefighters arrived, they could hear the leaking gas and smell the odor additive, mercaptan. An evacuation of the building nearest the leak was underway when firefighters arrived. Lt. Richards says that Vectren representatives Columbus Police assisted with the evacuation until all apartment units in the building were vacated. Once the evacuation was complete, firefighters found that the gas levels posed little risk at that time, said Richards.

Firefighters say that an unknown person was trying to place a television satellite dish post into the ground when the metal post pierced the natural gas line. Wilson says that Vectren crews found, and repaired, the gas leak by approximately 3 p.m. Residents were allowed back in to their apartments shortly thereafter.

Wilson says that this incident serves as a reminder that residents need request a utility location service before digging. Costs associated with repairing damages caused by a broken utility line can fall on the individual who damages it.