Columbus Township Fire and Rescue is reporting an accident Monday night at a mobile home park that ruptured a natural gas line.
According to firefighters, the department was called out at 9:33 p.m. to North National Road and found a car had struck a house and the natural gas line, causing a large gas leak. Firefighters evacuated all nearby homes while trying to stop the leak, a process that was complicated because the front bumper of the car was against the gas shutoff valve.
After gently prying the pipe away from the car, firefighters were able to turn off the gas line. Vectren was called in to secure the pipe and neighboring residents were allowed to return home. Firefighters also used fans to ventilate the home and remove gas that had seeped inside.