Dogs rescued from house fire on 23rd Street

Columbus Firefighters rescued two dogs from Wednesday afternoon house fire.

CFD Spokesman Capt. Mike Wilson says that at 2:28 p.m., firefighters were called to a home in the 2100 block of 23rd Street after a passerby noticed smoke coming from the home and called 911. He says that firefighters arrived moments later to find a single story house with a dog cratelarge amount of white smoke coming from the roof and eaves and two vehicles parked in home’s driveway. According to the incident commander, Battalion Chief Terry Whitis, crews were preparing to make entry to search the home when they received information from a neighbor that the residents were not at the residence. Unable to confirm the home was vacant, firefighters attempted to open the front entry door. Wilson says that attempt to enter was unsuccessful, as the door was locked from the inside. Using an ax and a halligan bar, firefighters breached the front entry door of the residence. As the firefighters prepared to enter the home, a pit-bull exited from the open door.

Wilson says that firefighters entered the home and immediately found flames in the living room and a dog crate nearby that it contained a dog. The search crew immediately moved the crate outside. Both dogs were checked out and determined to be in good health.

Firefighters say that a resident of the home arrived and told investigators that he had left for work before 5 a.m. with wood burning IMG_0744in the stove. Wilson says that the home did not have electric, gas, or water service. He adds that back in March of 2014, firefighters responded to the same location for a house fire. Wilson says the cause of that fire was determined to be accidental due to a space heater. During that incident investigators reportedly determined that the gas service to the home had been disconnected since 2009. A Columbus Police Officer was injured during the 2014 incident after receiving a dog bite while attempting to assist the occupants to safety. scene.

CFD investigators examined the wood burning stove and reports that the operating condition of the stove was a contributing factor in the fire and have ruled the cause as “accidental.” They add that the home did not have working smoke alarms. Wilson says that the family was displaced due to the fire and are receiving assistance from the American Red Cross.

No injuries were reported at the scene.