Piano blaze threatens Columbus home

Columbus firefighters battled a fire in a piano that threatened a home on Trestle Drive last night.

Capt. Mike Wilson, spokesman for the fire department, said a homeowner was watching television when she noticed a haze of smoke coming from another room. When she went to investigate, she found that a lit candle in a Christmas centerpiece had caught her upright piano on fire. After trying to smother the flames with a skillet, she called for help at about 8:43 p.m. and escaped the home with her two dogs.

Wilson said the firefighters used a handheld water fire extinguisher to put the flames out. The piano was a complete loss, but the flames were confined to the piano, he said. The home also suffered about $8,000 in smoke damage.