Unattended stove leads to fire

A home on Central Avenue was damaged after a Wednesday fire.

Columbus Fire Department Spokesman Capt. Mike Wilson says that IMG_7702firefighters were called to the home at 3205 Central Ave. at 12:10 p.m. The homeowner told firefighters that the fire was located in the kitchen. The blaze was quickly brought under control.

Wilson says that fire investigators learned that three people, a father, son and the son’s grandchild, were in the home at the time of the fire. The homeowner told firefighters that he walked into the kitchen and found the stove was on fire, with flames reaching the ceiling.

The homeowner’s son reportedly told fire investigators that he was preparing lunch for his four-year-old grandson when he walked to the rear of the home to check on him. The man reportedly said, “ I forgot all about the stove.”

All three people, as well as two cats, were able to escape the fire, which was ruled “accidental.” Wilson says that damages have been estimated at $30,000.